Saturday, March 20, 2010

IT world - Give peace and get money

IT industries specially the delivery track has become more like you give your peace of mind, give up your personal life and get money in return. I happily started my career in IT industry; but today I repent to be in this industry after 6.5 years.

I have my friends who are psychologist, and every session they give changes somebody's life to an extent. Such a meaningful job; just imagine the job satisfaction!!!

In industries also we have clients but we don't change their lives, we change the IT systems of the organization they belong to. This industry is about making dead things work better, look better. So obviously the job satisfaction is negligible when we think from the perspective of "Did i do something better today".

These days IT industries specially during recession and after that, have started bidding for projects at a much lower price to retain the clients. On top of that, they will try their best to cut the project cost internally such that the actual cost is half the price which the client agreed to pay. This is how they make profits from client and then from their own employees.

Yes the companies do earn from its own employees !!!. The project would actually need say 5 resources and 3 months. In the bidding process this might get reduced to 4 resource and 3 months. In reality only 2 employees would be assigned to this project for 3 months.

So its always the developers who bear this burden. Thats precisely why people in IT industries have to slog so much.

I wish to change my profession and get into a meaningful job. Can you suggest me any options???

HMMM...lunch is ready....more later...





3 comments:

  1. Perfectoooo......
    Here U are .... putting down thoughts to paper ... I share the same feeling.... strongly !!!

    Anyways... other option that I can suggest ...
    Dancing... open up Dance Training center... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to bore you both with this. Every organsation makes profit. And eveyhwere in the world the lowest rung slogs the most and thats how the org makes profit. When ur at the lowest rung u can't do anything abt it. But after 5-6 years hell ya u can do something abt it. Promise urself and make it clear to everyone what ur priorities are. Work accding to that. Don't forget there are people who work part time and alternate days in IT.

    And abt the job satisfaction. The age old saying "With great power comes great responsbility" is not a joke. If u think u want to be in something that changes people's life u also have to face situations where u change their life for the worse because of something u did. I never wanted that extreme responsibility! But if u wish u can still do it with the time u cut back from work! Between us we have taken care of all of us for 4 yrs. Thats is some groundwork training :)

    Lastly Priti the above is just to remind u that "its the same old story everywhere". No profession, not even the doctor's is noble in that way if you see the other side. BUT there is this one life and if u are not happy with what ur doing, thent this is the time to try something else. For u I would suggest, for the time being, get the best of the profession you are in and get out. I hope u go onsite soon, I am 200% person sure, you will be a changed person when u return. I am! Getting an opporutnity to see another world is best damn thing that our profession offers. Once u've seen whats out der, u are going to be better equipped to know what u want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rite Gazi..

    But you know what eventually everything seems just to be a perception....which again keeps on changes depending on your mood, the time and experiences.

    So at times when I am in high spirits I agree to what you said and when things are too offtrack for me to handle it my perception changes to the other side of the coin...

    ReplyDelete